Announcing new app: RTT2

Please post your questions/comments here. You are also very welcome to support other users if you think you can help them.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Announcing new app: RT2

Post by admin »

I see what you mean. In fact you are suggesting some features that I'm thinking of a long time:
1.) I also thought about adding a new configurable interval, defining how often the tracker pushes the recorded trackpoints to the server. I think this is exactly what you suggested in your last posting. Actually it was not scheduled for now but maybe I could have a look at this topic this week. It's definitely a useful feature.
2.) I also thought several times about an algorithm to make the track more accurate. I did not think at things like speed but solely the direction. For example: If direction changes more than 10 degrees I will record a new track point. But I am not sure if it would be that easy. I don't rule out that this feature will be added too in the future.

This tracker uses HTTP(S). A typical HTTP request needs more than 400 bytes because of its headers. If the tracker adds some content like location, speed, etc., the request will grow to about 600 bytes (= 0.6 kB). The server response will be equally sized, actually even a little bigger. So all in all, with the current architecture the minimum data size of a location update will be 1.2 - 1.5 kB. For 4800 server updates it would need about 7.2 MB. This is the optimistic approach because there are also some control messages. If you have added friends the tracker will need much more data because thousands of friends location updates will be send to your tracker. If you are chatting if will also cause data traffic. Can't say how much because I have to optimize it first. The tracker uses a push service. This is why messaging works so fast. But of course this also causes some data traffic. The tracker also receives some messages if the viewer count changes. If your viewers change frequently you will also have higher data consumption.

If your HTTPS connection is unstable and has to be reestablished many times it will be another negative factor.

All in all, I'm optimistic that the tracker will stay below 30 MB/day if you don't display any map and no ads are displayed (i.e. using the ad-free version). In your case it's easy. If you wish I can activate both ad-free and "Track Loading" one year for free (a small symbolic gesture because you have supported Greenalp by translating the whole translation file). Just let me know if you want me to activate it for your account.

That said, I must admit that a user in this forum reported a few weeks ago that his tracker consumed more than 200 MB in 3 days. I don't know if this measurement was correct, and I could not find any explantion for that. This never happened on my phone but you should be aware that I cannot completely rule out such incidents (bugs, etc.). Moreover, I have not 100 percent control about the external services (ads, push service). If roaming is expensive I strongly recommend to monitor data consumption.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

jknorst wrote:Hi,

Just started playing with RT2.

1) custom icon not displaying
2) additional guest URL parameters not being transmitted. &fs=1,&startdate=201405090000&enddates=enddate=201406050000
3) custom kml overlay not working (I forgot if it did in RTT1 - (it's not now either)

Jack

I can confirm that fs=1 is not supported. Will be added in the next version. Startdate was no problem for me. Maybe you have a spelling error? At least the example you posted is incorrect.
Neither RT1 nor RT2 supports KML because it is not supported by Google Maps for Android. This works only with the map in the web portal.
I have no problem with custom icons. Can you please check with RT1 and RT2. Does it work with RT1 but now with RT2?
Dusha

Post by Dusha »

admin wrote: 1.) I also thought about adding a new configurable interval, defining how often the tracker pushes the recorded trackpoints to the server. I think this is exactly what you suggested in your last posting. Actually it was not scheduled for now but maybe I could have a look at this topic this week. It's definitely a useful feature.
Nice to hear that :) Looking very much forward
admin wrote:2.) I also thought several times about an algorithm to make the track more accurate. I did not think at things like speed but solely the direction. For example: If direction changes more than 10 degrees I will record a new track point. But I am not sure if it would be that easy. I don't rule out that this feature will be added too in the future.
Well, this is not that critical if pt.1 will be in place. Pragmatic approach could be applied.
Having pt.1 in place (implemented), user can already control the decimation by:
* setting 10-15 seconds GPS coordinates caching (currently=Update intervals>Default GPS interval) and this will reduce number of cached points.
* also you already have Distance filter (Expert Settings>Min. distance [meters]) in place which could also be used to filter out excessive points in case if user is not moving or moving within a limited area (fuel stop or rest stop). E.g. user can set 50m in the Min. Distance to drop all points within this radius from a last cached point (=min distance between cached points).
admin wrote:This tracker uses HTTP(S). A typical HTTP request needs more than 400 bytes because of its headers. If the tracker adds some content like location, speed, etc., the request will grow to about 600 bytes (= 0.6 kB). The server response will be equally sized, actually even a little bigger. So all in all, with the current architecture the minimum data size of a location update will be 1.2 - 1.5 kB. For 4800 server updates it would need about 7.2 MB.
Clear, thanks for the explanation and rough estimates. I have 3G Watchdog monitor installed, will keep my eyes opened :)
admin wrote:If you wish I can activate both ad-free and "Track Loading" one year for free (a small symbolic gesture because you have supported Greenalp by translating the whole translation file). Just let me know if you want me to activate it for your account.
Well, I have already supported your development from the day-1 of the RTT was installed on my phone. So I do already have Track Loading and AD-free subscription active for 1 year (account 'dusha' / expires on 02/Jan/2015)
So, I would appreciate if you will just add one extra year to that :) (->02/Jan/2016)
BTW, it would be good to have this information (expiration date) available somewhere in the App or in the User profile on the web
admin wrote: fs=1 is not supported. Will be added in the next version.
What is this parameter about? :oops:
(I guess it's time to create a fully featured RTT manual describing all the options, Track Loading, possible URL syntax, etc.)
jknorst wrote:additional guest URL parameters not being transmitted
Hmm.. Don't understand what was meant...
By default only guest URL with or without guest password is generated in Share location dialogue.
The rest (e.g. &startdate) is supposed to be appended manually? If yes than I do not see any issues with that if the correct syntax is used when editing the system generated URL...Am I missing something???

And this gives another IDEA:
Enhance 'Share guest URL' functionality in the app to give an easy way to select additional URL options if desired:
* &startdate (popup calendar dialogue)
* &enddate (popup calendar dialogue)
* &starttime (popup clock dialogue)
* &endtime (popup clock dialogue)
* &maxtrackpoints (number input)
* &units (Imperial / Metric dropdown)
* &????
instead of offering users to append them to URL manually.

One more thought:
I think it would be logical to have the 'Network interval' location update configured in one place, e.g. in 'Update Intervals' with an option to disable it from there completely (0=disabled), rather than going to Expert Settings>'Send network location' to enable/disable it.

P.S. I'll check the Russian translation on the device over the weekend, will report back if any corrections will pop up.
lex75

Post by lex75 »

I finished Dutch, need to see it in app to be sure of things. Is there a quick link other than the one on the forum? Hmm and need to figure out how to get notification on this post also. Keep up the good work Florian! Take care

Edit that wasn't so hard, and found the url :P
Last edited by lex75 on Mon May 12, 2014 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pinoybear

Post by pinoybear »

I wouldn't mind seeing a "reset to defaults" option because I have a bad habit of messing around with the timers/intervals.
jknorst

Post by jknorst »

Custom icon works fine - I just had a very slow connection.

Should user comments go before or after guest url?

I've had problems, messed up comments, when i put them after.

&startdate and &enddate not showing in email nor are they retained for the next time I send the url.
This time i'm sure i tyoed them in correctly.

Hw does one get rid of the maps that were added using the add map"feature?

I like your idea for selecting parameters.

Jack
lex75

Post by lex75 »

Hey there!

Would be great if the .apk could be updated whit Dutch, so i can see context of translation and refine here and there.

Thx
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,
To make the translation portal compatible with all languages I had to add further translation strings for using correct plurals. For example, in English it 0 hours, or 2 hours, 3 hours, etc. (an 's' is appended), but it's "1 hour" (without 's'). So there are 2 different cases. In other languages there more different cases. So I added for all affected string an entry for "zero", "one", "two", "few", "many", and "other". In many languages this will be redundant. For example in English correct translation is following:

zero %1$d hours
one %1$d hour
two %1$d hours
few %1$d hours
many %1$d hours
other %1$d hours

I have added instructions for translators in the discussion section of the translation portal.
jh1354

Post by jh1354 »

Hi,
I love the split screen and its been very easy to use thanks so much. I was wondering if the split screen could be used on the web also? :D
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Well, I have already supported your development from the day-1 of the RTT was installed on my phone. So I do already have Track Loading and AD-free subscription active for 1 year (account 'dusha' / expires on 02/Jan/2015)
So, I would appreciate if you will just add one extra year to that :) (->02/Jan/2016)
BTW, it would be good to have this information (expiration date) available somewhere in the App or in the User profile on the web
Great to hear. So I have extended both by one year. Btw please note that the server stores a maximum of 1 million trackpoints for Track Loading users.
Track Loading: until 2016-01-02
Ad Free: until 2016-01-01

Of course I'm willing to grant the same to other users who translate a whole file (or at least a reasonable amount).